- Insecticide resistance in mosquito populations
- Systematics and population genetics of vector mosquitoes
- Novel methods for vector control
- Mosquito/parasite interactions
- Fundamental aspects of parasite biology
- Evolutionary aspects of Plasmodium
- Novel parasite drug targets
- Genetic manipulation of parasites
Antimalarial drug discovery
- Design and evaluate antimalarial activities of synthetic and natural compounds.
- Elucidate mechanisms of action of the compounds and interaction of novel compounds with standard antimalarial agents.
- Determine toxicological properties and safety indices of the compounds.
- Investigate antimalarial activity in vitro, in vivo and in phase 1 to 3 clinical trials.
Investigations of malaria transmission
in African countries and recommendations for integrated malaria control interventions:
For commercial companies operating in Senegal, Guinea Conakry, Mali, Ghana, Angola, DRC, Malawi and Tanzania
As collaborators on WHO/AFRO, WHO/TDR, MIM, Gates Foundation and Wellcome Trust funded projects in Senegal, Burkina Faso, Benin, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique and Swaziland.
Collaborative research projects
with international institutions such as the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK; Johns Hopkins University, Notre Dame University, University of California at Davis, Tufts University, Centres for Disease Control, USA; University of Wageningen, the Netherlands; IRD and ILL, France; IMBB, Crete, Greece; Jamia Millia Islamia, India; and the Academy of Science, Czech Republic.